Monday, January 19, 2015

Fruit Yielding Seed

Genesis 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

One of the dearest things to my heart is my children’s salvation. In this journey of nugget discovery, I have found many verses I believe we can apply in our prayers over our children. There are also so many verses that we as parents need to apply to ourselves as well; I believe this is one of them. This verse states that the herb and fruit tree yielded fruit after its own kind. The Lord shared with me, as a parent, a Christian parent, have I produced Christianity in my children? Have I yielded fruit after my own kind? Have I passed on a Godly heritage? What kind of example have I been?

My three children have all been in church since they were infants, many times they sat in the front pew while my husband I played on the worship team.  Yes, I took them to every service, every kids class and every revival meeting we had but what example did I set for them outside of church?  My intentions were always good but at times I went way overboard; like when I decided the Smurfs and My Little Pony were created in the pits of Hell and had to be banished from our home.  My kids still tease me about that.  But then there were, shamefully, so many other times that I was expecting the Sunday school teacher and youth group leader to get them saved and walking with the Lord.  It was in those times that I didn’t pray like I should or be diligent in my watch over what they were doing or what they were being exposed to.

We, as parents, have a great privilege to intercede on behalf of our children.  Many times this privilege can become a burden, seemingly ripping our hearts from within us.  There has also been, though, the times when the Holy Spirit overwhelmed me with His presence when I was in prayer for my children.  When that happens it is imperative that we yield to His leading, to His prayer language over our children.  I  had a conversation about praying in tongues with an elderly man one time. He was questioning praying in tongues and its effectiveness. My response to him was, “Who am I, when the Holy Spirit wants to pray through me, in His language, to pass up that opportunity.  Who knows else how to best pray for my children than the Holy Spirit.”

In my E-Bible on my I-pad I have highlighted all verses that I think can be prayed or pertain to my children’s salvation in purple. I would encourage you to do the same so that when it seems they will never turn to the Lord, and the enemy is telling you they never will, that you can read and encourage yourself in those verses and pray them as many times as it takes. 

 I would also highly recommend Stormie Omartian's book, The Power of A Praying Parent,  as it has so many wonderful scriptures and prayers throughout that us, as parents need to pray over our children.

Prayer: “Father forgive me for all the areas I have fallen short in teaching and setting a godly example for my children. Help me each to day to be an example, to be a light. Draw my children to You and stir up the gifts and purposes You have set for their lives. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment